Review: Sweeney Todd


Got a chance to take a good friend to a showing of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street for his birthday and really enjoyed the film. The music by Stephen Sondheim was fantastic and a significant departure from Tim Burton's regular collaborator Danny Elfman. I was surprised by Johnny Depp's ability to sing and Sacha Baron Cohen as a rival barber was a treat.

The film is a very dark story of blood, revenge and murderously good meat pies. While it is a musical, I was a little disappointed in the lack of substance to the film. Don't get me wrong, the costumes, the sets, the props, it took me back to the era of the Mid 1800's just as it should, but I just didn't feel satisfied at the end, maybe it's because the Anthony and Johanna story-line isn't resolved as it would be in some films.

The Golden Globes were just announced and while Sweeney Todd won Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy and Johnny Depp won for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy its a shame that Helena Bonham Carter lost out as her singing was the best.

In summery I recommend the film to anyone itching to see it be be wary of the sheer volume of blood and cruelty shown by Todd, this is not a film for the young or faint of heart, as the R rating should be you.

Comments

  1. I THOROUGLY ENJOYED THE FILM, IT WAS AMAZING I LOVED ALL OF THA BLOOD AND SEXUAL INTERCOURSE THROUGHOUT!
    WORTHH SEEING!
    RATED 20000000 STARS!
    XXLOVEYOU XXX

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment